West Side Story - Matinee
West Side Story
Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet is transported to 1950s New York City, as two young idealistic lovers find themselves caught between warring street gangs, the Jets and the Puerto Rican Sharks.
Based on a conception of Jerome Robbins
Book by Arthur Laurents
Music by Leonard Bernstein
Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
Director - Nikolai Foster
Design - Takis
Choreography - Drew McOnie
Musical Director - by Tom Deering
Lighting Design - Ben Cracknell
Sound Design - Tom Marshall
Wednesday 21 August at 7.30pm
Thursday 22 August at 7.30pm
Friday 23 August at 2.30pm and 7.30pm
Saturday 24 August at 2.30pm and 7.30pm
Tickets - £20 (plus booking fee)
Senior / Concessions / Under 26 - £18 (plus booking fee)
With a cast of 40 and an orchestra of 35 exceptionally talented young people drawn from all over the UK, Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet is transported to 1950s New York City, as two young idealistic lovers find themselves caught between warring street gangs, the Jets and the Puerto Rican Sharks.
"This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to create a new production of arguably one of the most significant and greatest musicals of all time. West Side Story represents the very best in music and dance storytelling, as relevant today as when it first exploded onto Broadway in the 1950s. The mighty Victoria Warehouse is an exceptional space - epic and uncompromising. It is here we shall create a piece of work contemporary in tone, ambitious in scale, immersive, truly explosive and unashamedly theatrical." NIKOLAI FOSTER - director
The NATIONAL YOUTH MUSIC THEATRE - NYMT - represents the very best in work with young people in musical theatre. For over 35 years it has enabled thousands of young people aged 11-23 to unlock both their creative and personal potential, leading Andrew Lloyd Webber to describe it as “the best youth music theatre in the world”.
This amateur production is presented by arrangement with Josef Weinberger Ltd. on behalf of Music Theatre International of New York.
A rumbling stomach is a huge distraction during a theatre performance, so why not come and try our pre-theatre menu, served in the Victoria Warehouse Hotel’s brand new bistro and lounge. Providing a contemporary blend of European and Asian cuisine, every meal is cooked from scratch using only the highest quality ingredients.
Book your table with us now. Bistro @ Victoria Warehouse
* Pre Show special offer*
2 Courses £13.95
3 Courses £16.95
Asian Flavours served on a slate platter:
• Handmade sesame prawn toast and vegetable spring rolls accompanied with sweet chilli dipping sauce.
• Chicken satay skewers accompanied with a peanut and lime dipping sauce.
European presented on a wooden serving board:
• Caramelised red onion and goat’s cheese tartlet with a fig and rocket salad garnish.
• Meze trio of homemade hummus, Greek salad and olives.
• An offering of cured meats and British cheeses served with rustic breads.
Main Courses £10.95
• Pad Thai Noodles with chicken or Tofu (v) Fresh colourful dish of rice noodles with flavours of peanut, lime and coriander.
• Thai Green Curry with chicken or Tofu (v) Made the authentic Thai way from a traditional recipe.
• Handmade rectangle pizzas served with a salad garnish on wooden boards.
Classic margherita, parma ham and mushrooms, chorizo and cheddar
• Classic lasagne
• Slice of indulgent homemade chocolate fudge cake with a dollop of clotted cream.
• Individual vanilla pod cheese cake with a choice of strawberry or passion fruit topping.
• Summer fresh fruit salad
*Food will be served from 5pm for evening shows (last orders taken at 6pm) and 12pm for matinee show (last orders at 1pm).
Booking is essential.
**Please be aware that this event will be starting at 2:30pm, after this time we cannot guarantee you entry into this event. The venue will be open from 1.30pm to allow early entry into the event. We advise that you arrive no later than 30 minutes before the show starts to avoid disappointment.
National Youth Music Theatre